1792 - 1878 (85 years)
||John Maffitt  |
| Name Suffix
||5 June 1792
||Burke Co., North Carolina, USA [1, 2]
||I should have told you that Father's residence is in McDowell County NC. After he married, my father bought land on the Catawba River on the north side about one mile above where Crooked Creek empties into the river a little more than a fourth mile above Jonothan Bird's residence and about the same distance below what I called the Logan Place. My father and Uncle Zechariah Kelley swapped land and my father now lives about six miles below Marion on Little Muddy Creek, two miles from the math county road. The residence is sometimes called the James Gibbs place as he cleared the land.  |
||7 January 1878
||McDowell Co., North Carolina, USA 
||after 7 January 1878
||Old Ebenezer Cemetery, McDowell Co., North Carolina, USA 
||Clan Moffat Genealogy
||5 January 2009 |
||John Maffitt, Sr., b. 16 December 1767, County Cork, Ireland , d. 24 August 1854, Old Fort, McDowell Co., North Carolina, USA (Age 86 years) |
||Sarah Whitaker, b. 24 November 1767, Rowan Co., North Carolina, USA , d. after 1840, McDowell Co., North Carolina, USA (Age > 74 years) |
||Family Group Sheet | Family Chart
||Matilda Bird, b. 31 January 1795, Greenbrier Co., Virginia, USA , d. 16 May 1861, Burke Co., North Carolina, USA (Age 66 years) |
||8 March 1822 
||8 March 1823 
- Father and mother had twelve children, some of whom died while young:
1) Richard (myself) is the oldest
2) William married but I have forgotten her name as he married after I left home, his residence is McDowell County NC
3) Nelson married Elmira Finger, residence McDowell NC
4) Sarah Ann married Jesse R. Mason, residence Georgia
There was a child older than Sarah Ann but it died and was not named.
5) Wilson, died at about age four
6) Elizabeth married a Loughrun who was killed in Virginia; he was with General Lee, Elizabeth lives with Father.
7) James Westlake died when about six years old
8) Elvira married a Simmons (I think his name was James) residence McDowell NC
9) John Whittaker was raised by Grandfather Maffitt and lived with him as long as he lived. After his death and that of Grandmother, Grandfather and Aunt Elizabeth lived together until 1862 when he and Nelson were conscripted and went into the Rebel army. The last I heard of him he was in Knoxville, Tennessee. Nelson was also in the same company but was discharged.
10) Celina Matilda is single, lives with Father 
|+||1. Dr Richard Bird Maffitt, b. 16 December 1823, McDowell Co., North Carolina, USA , d. 27 July 1880, Clarksville, Johnson Co., Arkansas, USA (Age 56 years)|
| ||2. William Maffitt, b. 15 May 1825, McDowell Co., North Carolina, USA , bur. McDowell Co., North Carolina, USA |
| ||3. Nelson Maffitt, b. 9 April 1828, McDowell Co., North Carolina, USA , bur. McDowell Co., North Carolina, USA |
| ||4. Sarah Ann Maffitt, b. 31 August 1829, McDowell Co., North Carolina, USA , bur. Georgia, USA |
| ||5. Wilson Maffitt, b. 11 December 1830, d. about 1834 (Age 3 years)|
| ||6. Elizabeth Caroline Maffitt, b. 28 August 1832, McDowell Co., North Carolina, USA |
| ||7. Elvira Maffitt, b. 2 January 1834, McDowell Co., North Carolina, USA , bur. McDowell Co., North Carolina, USA |
| ||8. Lucinda Maffit, b. 16 July 1835, McDowell Co., North Carolina, USA |
|+||9. John Whittaker L. Moffitt, b. 7 December 1836, Old Fort, McDowell Co., North Carolina, USA , d. 1905, Old Fort, McDowell Co., North Carolina, USA (Age 68 years)|
| ||10. James Westlake Maffitt, b. 11 September 1838, McDowell Co., North Carolina, USA , d. 23 October 1849 (Age 11 years)|
| ||11. Celina Matilda Maffitt, b. 29 May 1843, McDowell Co., North Carolina, USA |
||Family Group Sheet | Family Chart
||A Letter to Emily and John Maffitt|
This letter was written by Richard Bird Maffitt to his children Emily Virginia Maffitt and John Walton Ward Maffitt. It was left to the Johnson County (Arkansas) Historical Society by Miss Martha Basham (daughter of Emily Virginia Maffitt) and published in their journal in April 1981.
- surname also spelled Moffitt 
- [S1] Original Moffat GEDCOM File, Robert and Frances Moffitt.
- [S1946] Article titled “A Letter to Emily and John Maffitt”, written by Richard Bird Maffitt.
- [S1926] Clan Moffat Society Lineage Sheet, submitted by Richard Kleckner.