Clan Moffat Genealogy
 Home  |  Search for Names  |  What's New  |  Most Wanted  |  Revolutionary War  |  Photos  |  Histories  |  Documents  |  Cemeteries  |  Headstones   |  Places  

Thomas Oscar Lockhart[1]

Male 1885 - 1964  (79 years)

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    All    |    PDF

  • Name Thomas Oscar Lockhart 
    Gender Male 
    Born 3 September 1885  Ripley, Tippah Co., Mississippi, USA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Died 10 December 1964  Ripley, Tippah Co., Mississippi, USA Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID I66234  Clan Moffat Genealogy

    Family/Spouse Claudie Ethel Moffitt,   b. 1 November 1893, Ripley, Tippah Co., Mississippi, USA Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 27 August 1969, Ripley, Tippah Co., Mississippi, USA Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 75 years) 
    Married 13 November 1912  Ripley, Tippah Co., Mississippi, USA Find all individuals with events at this location  [1
    +1. Frances Jewel Lockhart,   b. 21 January 1916
    +2. Mary Louise Lockhart,   b. 30 July 1917, Ripley, Tippah Co., Mississippi, USA Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 10 January 1997, Ripley, Tippah Co., Mississippi, USA Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 79 years)
    +3. Thomas Lee Lockhart,   b. 14 August 1919, Ripley, Tippah Co., Mississippi, USA Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 20 November 1984, Ripley, Tippah Co., Mississippi, USA Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 65 years)
    +4. James Houston Lockhart,   b. 17 October 1920, Ripley, Tippah Co., Mississippi, USA Find all individuals with events at this location,   d. 30 June 2000, Oliphant, Bruce Co., Ontario, Canada Find all individuals with events at this location  (Age 79 years)
    +5. Living
    +6. Living
    Family ID F46338  Family Group Sheet  |  Family Chart

  • Notes 
    • My dad, Thomas Oscar Lockhart was born September 3, 1885 to William Thomas Lockhart and Sarah Frances Smith Lockhart in Tippah County, Mississippi. Oscar, as he was called (some called him T.O.), had two sisters and one brother. His brother Homer Houston, died just months after he entered the Navy in World War I with spinal meningitis. He had one sister who died as an infant and his sister Florence died at seven years from an accident that was caused by a dog knocking her off the porch breaking her back.. My grandfather died before I was born, so, of course I do not know anything other than my dad being the only child of my grandmother. She lived with my parents until she died in 1949.
      My dad went as far in public school as was taught in his day. He started at Weirs Chapel, a one room school house east of Ripley, Mississippi. Afterwards he attended the school in Dumas, Mississippi, that probably would be equivalent to our high school. He worked as a farmer and married the girl he had known all his life (my mother) Claudie Moffitt who lived just a half mile from his and my grandmother's farm. They stayed on the farm and my two oldest sisters Jewel and Louise were born. Dad soon discovered he had a great ability to build things from wood. They moved into the town of Ripley and my oldest brother Tom was born. My dad soon became one of the county's most desired carpenters. He and my grandmother bought a beautiful colonial house and there my brothers Jim, Charles and myself were born to make up our family.
      Dad helped build all the big buildings in Tippah County including the high schools, churches and the court house. He became quite prosperous and bought a 140 acre farm from my grandfather Moffitt (the same acreage where my mother grew up).
      Our house in Ripley was big and we really had our share of visitors. My mother was from a big family and my grandmother had lots of relatives that lived in the county and they all seem to make it a habit of visiting us. It was fun for us kids, but hard on my mother and grandmother having to cook and do for company. My dad said there were times when he came home for lunch he didn't know whether to go in or go back to town to a cafe.
      Being the fifth child of six it was rare for me to get individual quality time with my dad, the first real remembrance of such a time was the first day I went to school. That night he held me in his lap and asked me all about school. I told him about a boy named Malachi Stark. He sure did laugh and teased me for years about what I learned my first day of school.
      During the depression the banks in Ripley closed and carpenter work was scarce. My dad sold our big beautiful home for much less than it was worth and moved us all to the farm six miles east of town. With the money from selling the house, he bought a pair of mules (Kate and Nell) and the farm equipment. We were all growing up and could do our part to help. I was in the second grade so it was quite a while before I had to do farm chores. As far as I know my dad never went in debt for anything.
      Dad always wore a smile and was so even tempered until he got behind the mules when he was plowing the field, then you could hear some well chosen words all over the country. I don't remember my dad ever scolding or spanking me. I never knew if it was because he never caught me misbehaving, or that I just never got into trouble. He had his way of disciplining because I remember my older sisters and brothers getting it on occasions.
      We all belonged to the Presbyterian church in Ripley and Westminster Country Church. Dad served as an officer at both churches. He was one of the trustees of our school at Centre - Sometimes that proved to be a good thing for we kids in getting along well with our teachers.
      Dad was a very smart and respectful man. I could never figure out how he could work algebra and geometry problems when he never studied the higher math. He always used his book knowledge in every way he could. As soon as things got under way on the farm and he could afford a daily newspaper, one was delivered every day. He could hardly wait to work the crossword puzzle -- and completed it day by day. I've always been proud that I enjoyed his hobby, but I have left it incomplete on occasions.
      As the years went by all we kids moved away and had our own lives. My grandmother died, so dad and mom had a few years alone. My dad always seemed happy, but the happiest and most excited I ever remember was when his first "Lockhart" grandson was born and was named "Thomas". He made the fifth generation of Thomass, and as of this writing there are seven.
      ` Dad and mom celebrated their 50th anniversary two years before dad died with heart failure Dec. 10, 1964. He had very few health problems in his entire life.
      My dad left a lot of material things that he made, including the pulpit at Westminster Church. His everlasting smile was even evident when he died. He is buried in Westminster Cemetery in Tippah County, Mississippi

      My Memories Of
      By Eugenia Underhill
      March, 1999

      My mother, Claudie Ethel Moffitt was born November 1, 1892 to Robert E. Moffitt and Effie Eugenia Drewry Moffitt in Tippah County, Mississippi. She was the oldest of eleven children. Her brothers were: Robert, Roy, Thomas and Howard. Her sisters were: Mary Elizabeth, Alma, Katie Mae and Mattie Lou. Her sisters Mavis and Beatrice died as children. They are all deceased now, and all except two of them lived their entire lives in Tippah County Mississippi. My mother being the oldest grew up working in every area of a farm. She went to school at Weirs Chapel, a one room school house. She went through all the grades they taught there at the time ( I sometimes thought she must have gone further than I did because she was so smart and wise). She married my dad Oscar Lockhart in 1912. They had six children; Jewel, Louise, Tom, Jim, Eugenia (me), and Charles.
      My mother was so pretty and witty. I can't say she was even tempered like my dad but they got along for 52 years together. The only spanking I can remember getting from my mother was telling her I wasn't going to do what she had asked me to do. The reason I remember is so well is because our Church was having its annual revival at Westminster at the time, and I had joined the church the night before. I became a real believer after that.
      My mother liked to join things. She was always going to some sort of meeting. She belonged to the Home Demonstration Club, she sewed, cooked and canned things each year to take to the county fair at Ripley. She had so many blue, red and white ribbons that she made a beautiful pillow cover out of them. She was involved with all the Church organizations. Everyone could always depend on her for having a beautiful bouquet of flowers from her garden in the church every Sunday of the year. She also was in charge of Communion Service whenever she could.
      Mother, (mama, as we all called her) liked to quilt. She and her friends in the community would have quilting at their homes. The person hosting the quilting made the dinner and also got the quilt. Mama made just about all my clothes and between her sewing and my grandmother and older sisters, I always had plenty to wear.
      Among all my mama's hobbies was "going" just mention going some place and she was always ready. When she was young she drove a car. I remember she, my brother Charles and I would take off for a week end to visit her parents (my grandpa and grandma Moffitt). When times got hard on the farm my parents had to give up the car. In later years she never resumed her driving and that was a shame. When my dad died she could have enjoyed life more and could have been more independent.
      When I moved away from home it was always such a treat to go back there for a week end or holidays. My mama would cook the things I liked. Of course, like everyone else I thought my mama was the best cook in the world. My husband "Chuck" was crazy about her biscuits.
      After my dad died, my daughter Tracey (then six years old) and I moved in with my mama for a year when Chuck was overseas in the Air Force. I didn't know it at the time, but that time spent with her has meant so very much to me. Chuck came home in July and we left to live in California. Mama got real sick with cancer. She had lots of health problems throughout her life, but she managed to take care of her family as long as we were at home. Her first notice of cancer was when she was only 51. Mama died with advanced cancer on August 27, 1969, in the Tippah County Hospital. She lived to see 16 grandchildren and 21 great grandchildren. She is buried next to my dad in the Westminster Cemetery.

  • Sources 
    1. [S862] GEDCOM file John Moffitt Mississippi.GED, submitted by Charles Underhill.

  • There are two separate "trees" in this database. The combined database is a cooperation between the Clan Moffat Society based in North America and the Clan Moffat UK based in the United Kingdom.
  • The Clan Moffat Society tree is a compilation of the genealogies submitted to the Clan Moffat Society by its Members over more than 20 years. Expand (more...)
  • The Clan Moffat UK tree is based mainly on the 1881 UK census as indexed and published on CD by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Expand (more...)
  • If you wish to make a small change or addition to the database, click the "Suggest" tab that appears on most of the pages.
  • If you wish to contribute information about your family to our database, please see this page for information.

Send eMail to the
Clan Moffat Society Genealogist

 Send eMail to the
Clan Moffat UK Genealogist

© This site copyright Clan Moffat Society 2002–2018 & Clan Moffat UK 2007–2018

This site powered by The Next Generation of Genealogy Sitebuilding ©, v. 12.0.3, written by Darrin Lythgoe 2001-2018.

Maintained by Clan Moffat Society. | Data Protection Policy.

Clan Moffat Society Web Site 

Clan Moffat UK Web Site