about 1768 - 1841
||Jane Bowhill  |
||about 1768 
||From personal observation Robin Moffat says the gravestone of Charles and Jane is in the cemetery of St. Michael’s Parish in Gordon. Wording on the gravestone is hard to read due to weathering, but he saw a booklet in the church with the following information about the grave under listing # 198.|
“Charles Moffat, resident in Spottieswood, died 18 May 1508 (sic), aged 68 years.
( Attempts are being made to find the correct date of Charles’s death. Spottieswood
is in the parish of Westruther-3 miles south of Lauder.)
Jane Bowhill his wife who died in Edinburgh 15 May 1841, aged 73 years.
Also George Moffat, his son, who died 31 Mar 1814, aged 19 years. “
( Note if George was indeed 19, he must have been born c1795. Also note his bp date was 13 April 1797.Sometimes children were not baptized straightaway.)
From MIs Hazel Crammond says the grave (No. 198) of Charles and Jane included the following children as well as the parents:
a. George Moffat, died 31 Mar 1814, aged 19 years. (Born c1795)
b. Archibald Moffat, died 12 Apr 1828, age 37. (Born c1791)
c. Ann Moffat, died 17 Jun 1829,age 28. (Born c1801)
d. Thomas Moffat died 10 Aug 1829, age 35 (Born c1794) 
||15 May 1841
||Edinburgh, Edinburghshire, Scotland 
||after 15 May 1841
||St. Michaels, Gordon, Berwickshire, Scotland 
||Clan Moffat Genealogy
||1 December 2005 |
||Charles Moffat, b. about 1760, d. 18 May 1828 |
||19 June 1786
||Lauder, Berwickshire, Scotland 
||6 July 1786
||Gordon, Berwickshire, Scotland 
- From a copy of the death certificate (obtained from New Register House in Edinburgh) of Charles Moffat (c1804-1887) we know that his parents were Charles Moffat, farm servant, and Jane Behill?/Bowhill?, her surname not being plainly readable. However, various other sources such as the parish death records and gravestone suggest that Bowhill is correct.
Old Parish Records (OPRs) indicate that Charles Moffat and Jane/Jean (Jane seems to be preferred) Bowhill were married in 1786. According to Robin Moffat, Charles was from Gordon Parish and Jane was from Lauder Parish, both in Berwick County, Scotland.
The proclamation of the banns was recorded on 19 June 1786 in the OPRs for Lauder (OPR 748/1 ), found in the New Register House in Edinburgh. It is recorded that they “deposited one shilling for the poor.” Although it was more common for a wedding to take place in the bride’s parish, in the case of Charles and Jane, it appears they were married in his parish on 06 July 1786 at Gordon. (OPR 742/4).
Hazel Crammond , secretary –newsletter editor of Clan Moffat UK and Eire, used International Genealogy Index (IGI) lists and Monumental Inscriptions (MIs) for Berwick to “find” the following family members of Charles and Jane Moffat:
1. A daughter Janet Moffat , born to Charles Moffat and Jean Bourhill (sic), was baptized 18 May 1787 at Lauder, Berw.
2. A son Archibald Moffat , born to Charles Moffat, (no mother named) was baptized 24 July 1791 at Gordon , Berw.
3. A son Thomas Moffat, born to Charles Moffat, (no mother named) was baptized
17 Nov 1793 at Gordon, Berw.
4. A son George Moffat, born to Charles Moffat (no mother named) was baptized
13 April 1797 at Gordon, Berw.
5. A daughter Ann? Born c1801? See following page.
6. A son, Charles Moffat, born to Charles Moffat and Jean Beverhill (sic) was baptized on 01 Apr 1804 at Eccles , Berw.
7. As of February 2004 , there is evidence to suggest, but not to prove , that Henry Purvis Moffat 1806-1878 was also a son of Charles and Jane. Robin Moffat of Kerrville, Texas, said via e-mail dated 19 Jan 2004 that he has not seen official documentation ,but only family references handed down through the years. Robin suggests that Henry Purvis Moffat was probably born in the county of Berwick. Sandra McGinn and the IGI records, ( which may have errors) say that Henry Purvis Moffat was born in Edinburgh about 1806. (See pages for Henry
Purvis Moffat and Margaret Young.) [Source 932]
Marion Doidge now says that there is no credible evidence that Henry Purves Moffat was a son of Charles Moffat and Jane Bowhill. Others are still pursuing this. [Source 977] [1, 2]
| ||1. Janet Moffat, b. before 18 May 1787|
| ||2. Archibald Moffat, b. before 24 July 1791, d. 12 April 1828|
| ||3. Thomas Moffat, b. before 17 November 1793, d. 10 August 1829|
| ||4. George Moffat, b. before 13 April 1797, d. 31 March 1814|
| ||5. Ann Moffat, b. about 1801, d. 17 June 1829|
|>||6. Charles Moffat, b. 1 April 1804, Eccles, Berwickshire, Scotland , d. 7 July 1887, Hawick, Roxburghshire, Scotland |
|>||7. Henry Purvis Moffat, b. 1806, Edinburgh, Edinburghshire, Scotland , d. 1878|
||Family Group Sheet
- The gravestone death records of Jane Bowhill Moffat say that she died in May 1841 in Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scot. Whether or not she was living with a family member, (perhaps Henry?) we do not know. Robin Moffat rechecked the 1841 Census records and verified that Jane Bowhill Moffat was not enumerated in the household of Henry Purvis Moffat who did live in Edinburgh then. The household included Henry 35, Margaret 30, Charles 10, Thomas 8, Janet 6, John 4, and George (.1). 
- [S932] Document titled “Moffat Family”, written by Marion Doidge.
- [S977] eMail message titled “Re: Moffat document 2 from Marion Doidge”, written by Marion Doidge.