1767 - 1854 (86 years)
||John Maffitt [1, 2, 3] |
| Name Suffix
||16 December 1767
||County Cork, Ireland [1, 3]
||16 December 1767
||Mecklenburg Co., North Carolina, USA 
||24 August 1854
||Old Fort, McDowell Co., North Carolina, USA 
||after 24 August 1854
||Ebenezer United Methodist Cemetery, McDowell Co., North Carolina, USA
||24 August 1864
||McDowell Co., North Carolina, USA 
|Match and Merge
||Other Last Name: Moffitt |
||My grandmother lived at General Davidson's and when my grandfather was twenty-one or twenty-two he and Grandmother married and moved up to what is now MacDowell County about four miles up the river Catawba, above Cot. Carson's residence, on a place which is now owned, I suppose, by the heirs of Jonothan Bird about a half-mile north of Bird's house. There my Aunt Eleanor and my father were born. He then moved up on the head of a creek about four miles from that place and opened a farm on the head of Cane Creek where he lived the reminder of his days.  |
||Clan Moffat Genealogy
||5 January 2009 |
||Sarah Whitaker, b. 24 November 1767, Rowan Co., North Carolina, USA , d. after 1840, McDowell Co., North Carolina, USA (Age > 74 years) |
- I will now try to give you the names and residence of my uncles and aunts on my father's side commencing with the oldest:
I) Eleanor married Wm McGe residence Macon County N.C.
2) John (my father) was born June 5, 1792, married Matilda Bird
3) Mary married Thos. Curtis, Moses Curtis' son, residence in Georgia
4) James married Eleanor Mackey (who was almost a devil), residence Macon Co. NC
5) Elizabeth never married, residence Macon Co. NC
6) Sarah married Curtis Saunders, residence Macon Co. NC
7) William married Eliza Bird, residence McDowell County NC
8) Abagail, never married, residence Macon Co. NC
9) Josiah married, but I have forgotten her name, residence Macon Co. NC 
| ||1. Eleanor Maffit, b. about 1791, Burke Co., North Carolina, USA , d. Macon, Warren Co., North Carolina, USA |
|+||2. John Maffitt, Jr., b. 5 June 1792, Burke Co., North Carolina, USA , d. 7 January 1878, McDowell Co., North Carolina, USA (Age 85 years)|
| ||3. Elizabeth Maffit, b. 12 March 1794, Burke Co., North Carolina, USA , d. 25 February 1873, McDowell Co., North Carolina, USA (Age 78 years)|
| ||4. Sarah Maffit, b. about 1795, d. about 1835 (Age ~ 40 years)|
|+||5. William Whitaker Maffitt, b. 11 October 1795, Burke Co., North Carolina, USA , d. 28 February 1874, Crooked Creek, McDowell Co., North Carolina, USA (Age 78 years)|
|+||6. Mary "Polly" Maffit, b. about 1797, Burke Co., North Carolina, USA , d. about 1885, Fannin Co., Georgia, USA (Age ~ 88 years)|
|+||7. James Logan Maffit, b. about 1799, Burke Co., North Carolina, USA , d. about 1892 (Age ~ 93 years)|
| ||8. Abigail Maffit, b. 27 June 1801, Burke Co., North Carolina, USA , d. 1891, Macon Co., North Carolina, USA (Age 89 years)|
| ||9. Josiah Maffit, b. 19 July 1809, d. 21 June 1892, Macon Co., North Carolina, USA (Age 82 years)|
||Family Group Sheet | Family Chart
||A Letter to Emily and John Maffitt|
This letter was written by Richard Bird Maffitt to his children Emily Virginia Maffitt and John Walton Ward Maffitt. It was left to the Johnson County (Arkansas) Historical Society by Miss Martha Basham (daughter of Emily Virginia Maffitt) and published in their journal in April 1981.
- Bondsmen at his wedding were Wm. Whitaker, Jr. and Basil Gaither.
name also spelled Moffitt
Spelling of surname questioned: some descendants use "Maffitt"
Was indentured to a General Davidson until he was 21 years old. He then learned the art of tanning. [1, 5]
- [S1] Original Moffat GEDCOM File, Robert and Frances Moffitt.
- [S511] GEDCOM file, from Mavis.
- [S1138] Some Notes about the Maffitts, Author Unknown - Submitted by Bob Maffitt.
- [S77] Pedigree Chart, submitted by Charlene Davis.
- [S1946] Article titled “A Letter to Emily and John Maffitt”, written by Richard Bird Maffitt.