|Search for Names
Search by ID Number
23 April 2017 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database. New material including:
- James John Moffatt (1915-2004) and many of his relatives from Sussex;
- The family of Peter Moffett (1800-1876) and his wife Barbara Grey, from Framlington in Northumberland, and including his grandson, Edward Thomas Moffett (1883-1970).
31 March 2017 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database. New material including:
- Mary Margaret (Mollie) Moffatt (1881-1974), b County Leitrim, who emigrated to Valentine, Cherry Co., Nebraska, and married Bob McQuade;
- The family of Irvine Moffat and Jessie Black, of Moffat, Dumfriesshire, incl their son George Black Moffat (1930-2013);
- Family of William Moffat (1925-1978) and Dorothy May Fair (1923-1990), who lived in Ipswich, Suffolk;
- William Moffatt (1842-1918), publisher of “The Chess Amateur” and manufacturer of chess pieces, and his wives (1) Julia Stein and (2) Emma Marshall.
31 Jan 2017 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database. New material including:
- The unofficial family of Agnes Kerr Hughes (1863-1925), and her 6 children with James Moffat (1854-1942), in addition to 9 children with his wife, Sarah Burns (1856-1934);
- The family of George Moffatt (1822-1902), Canadian merchant, whose wife was Mary Ridge, and whose daughter Sophia Wallace Moffatt (1854-1906) married William Frederick Collings, the Seigneur of Sark.
1 Jan 2017 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database. New material including:
- The family of Robert Maxwell Moffat (1843-1910), author of “A short history of the family of Moffat of that Ilk”, including his son Alexander Logan Nathan Moffat (1889-1914), who died in WW1;
- The family of Francis Moffat (Lockerbie, 1851) and Grace Davidson (1854-1934), Oxford County, Ontario, Canada;
- Corrections regarding William Marshall, husband of Florence Margaret Moffatt (1885-1979).
1 Dec 2016 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database. New material including:
- Augustus Kay Moffat (1824-1886), including his time at Winchester College, his Army Service in India, and dates for his wife and children.
1 Nov 2016 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database. New material including:
- The family of Daniel Moffat (1816-1878) and his wife Jane Clark, including his daughters Marion, who married John Black; and Alison, who married Hugh Broatch; and his daughter Mary, who died of enteritis, aged 8.
29 Sep 2016 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database. New material including:
- Correction regarding John Moffat, b 1819, Cumberland, married Sarah Boustead, in that his parents are John Moffat, b ca 1774, and his wife, Letitia (Lettice) Scott.
7 Sep 2016 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database. New material including:
- Nicholas Edwards Moffatt (1855-1942), b Cornwall, who became Traffic Manager in the Great Copper Mine, Namqualand, South Africa;
- Peter Moffat (1813-1851), b Forfar, Scotland, who emigrated to Australia, and founded a dynasty of dairy farmers in Wolumba;
- William Moffitt,(1802-1874), b Liverpool, transported to Australia for the most trivial offence, became a successful bookseller, stationer, engraver, publisher and director of the Australian Joint Stock Bank.
27 July 2016 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database. New material including:
- The family of Walter Scott Moffat (1827-1880), Melrose, Roxburghshire, and his wife Esther Trestrail Smith (1834-1875), Redruth, Cornwall, who emigrated to Melbourne, Australia, and Walter’s brief second marriage, 1878, to Jane McJannet.
1 July 2016 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database. New material including:
- The family of James Moffat, tenant of Bruntaburn Mill, Berwickshire, who died in 1762 and his wife Isabella Lauder, his brother George and his sister Margaret;
- New data concerning the descendents of Henry Nathaniel Moffett (1887-1946) and his 19 children, especially his daughter Ellen (1918-2014).
1 May 2016 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database. New material including:
- The families of Robert William Moffett (1875-1945) and his son Charles Robert Moffett (1903-1974), South Shields, County Durham.
1 April 2016 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database. New material including:
- Peter Moffatt (1869-1920), Gang leader in Victorian Salford, where disaffected and underemployed youths participated in inter-communal violence, known as scuttling. The despairing magistrates wanted to re-instate birching, but the Home Secretary forbade it. Imprisoned in Strangeways as many as ten times, on the day of release from one stretch, Peter assaulted stabbed John Allmark, leader of a rival gang, and went straight back to prison. As depicted on the BBC program “The Secret History of my Family”;
- William Moffett (1827-1868), Cooper, and Grand Master of the Odd-Fellows;
- The brothers James (1870-1943) and Robert William (1875-1945) Moffett, and their respective families in the first half of the 20th century.
29 Feb 2016 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database. New material including:
- Aaron Moffet (1886-1963), who emigrated from County Antrim to Vancouver, Canada;
- Norman Moffett (1909-1994), Newcastle upon Tyne, plus dates for his wife, brothers and sister;
- The brothers Alfred (1899-1978) and Joseph Robert (1901-1972) Moffatt, who married the sisters Ada Annie and Margaret Newman.
25 Jan 2016 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database. New material including:
- Norman Moffett (1909-1994), Newcastle upon Tyne, plus his family and his siblings.
30 December 2015 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- including much new material derived from a visit to GRO Edinburgh by Colin Moffat;
- Joseph Moffat (1870-1944) umbrella manufacturer from Arbroath.
28 November 2015 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- Harry Nathaniel Moffatt (1871-1929) who ran off to New Zealand, and his son Roy Harry Moss Moffatt (1900-1969) and grandson Harry St Clair Moffatt (1925-2003), both of whom remained in the UK.
2 November 2015 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- John Moffett (1822-1871) of South Shields, manufacturer of mirrors, who moved to Islington;
- The liaison between Thomas Moffat (1839-1886) and Catherine Hinshelwood. Thomas’ parental family, and the family of his extra-marital child John Hinshelwood Moffat b 1857;
- WW1 NZEF veteran William Robert Moffat, who had 2 daughters with his wife Mary, and a son with his partner Bridget Meere. Also his brother John Henry Moffat (1882-1917), also NZEF, who died at Ypres;
- Charting the family of Harry Lowry Moffitt (1883-1916), ANZAC soldier who died at Fromelles, France, back to its origin in Enniskillen, County Fermanagh, Ireland.
1 October 2015 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- John Moffat (1885-1963), farmer, Dumfriesshire, who married
- Mary Jane Fletcher (1885-1915), who died during childbirth
- Helen McQueen (1876-1954)
31 August 2015 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- Family of Richard Cornwall Moffat (1919-1977), coal miner of Fife, Scotland, and his wife Christina Muir (1920-1998);
- The life of William Moffat, master tailor to the Army (1862-1946), his wife Helen Oliver (1860-1933), and their children born in Scotland, England and Ireland;
- John Moffat (1887-1964), Lochmaben, Scotland, who married Teresa McQuade (1887-1967), Rutherglen, Glasgow, and moved to Lawrence, Massachusetts.
28 July 2015 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- A corrected death date for Robin Forbes Moffatt (1932-2010);
- A more detailed note on the WW2 career of RAF Test pilot Alan Ormerod Moffet (1920-1945), the 70th anniversary of whose death was commemorated by the Blaby Heritage Group with a Memorial Seat.
1 July 2015 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- Hamilton Moffatt (1832-1894) Son of Naval Commander John Moffat. He emigrated to Canada, and was the first European to cross and map the mountain range in Victoria Island;
- Mary Stewart Moffat (1938-2009), Dumfries, author of children’s books.
1 June 2015 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- Michael Moffat (b 1876) County Sligo, and his wife Bridget Foley, who lived in Govan, Glasgow, before moving on;
- Thomas Shaw Moffat (1899-1966), married (1) Annie McInnes, and (2) Esther Moffat, the latter the daughter of John Moffat (1879-1958) and Mary Sweeney.
28 April 2015 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- William Moffat (b 1860) maker of packing boxes, Glasgow, and his wife Jane Forrester
as well as their nine children, born 1884 through 1899.
31 Mar 2015 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- Emma Frances Moffat (1813-1877), who married Joseph West;
- More information from County Mayo, including Annie Doyle (1880-1957) who married Bernard Moffitt;
- Maria Moffitt (1881-1972) who married Robert Morris, Leigh, Lancashire.
2 Mar 2015 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- Elizabeth Moffat (1852-1914), who married John Fairbairn (1853-1922) of Bedrule, Roxburghshire;
- A conjecture that William Moffat, b Leith ca 1800, who married Janet Barclay is in fact the son of William Moffat and Elizabeth Nellson, and b Leith 11.2.1802.
17 Jan 2015 An early February update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- The family of Thomas Moffat (1852-1929), plasterer, of Lockerbie, Dumfriesshire, who married Margaret Davidson;
- Richard Charles Muffett (1895-1984) of Shouldham Thorpe, Norfolk, whose daughter Barbara married Patrick Cottington.
2 Jan 2015 - Happy New Year An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- The family of George Henry Moffett (1875-1963), South African, and step-son (adopted son) of William Moffett of Ireland.;
- John Coutts (1837-1911) and his wife Elizabeth Moffat (1842-1925), who married in Peebles, but went gold-mining in New Zealand.
29 Nov 2014 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- Joseph Barker Moffatt (1824-1862), mariner, lost at sea, whose wife, Elizabeth Donnison re-married to Philip McGahan, emigrated to the USA, and used Moffatt as the family name;
- Identification of Agnes Cuthbert (1855-1913), and her two husbands who pre-deceased her, before in 1899 she married James Moffat (1862-1955) (his second marriage), and in the same year gave birth to Robert Scott Moffat.
3 Nov 2014 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- John Moffat (1826-1879) who married Agnes Jackson (1821-1875), from Ayrshire, worked as a boilermaker in Glasgow. His extensive family is detailed;
- James Frederick Moffatt (1865-1925) from Liverpool, but who settled in Goole, Yorkshire, and his family;
- Greater accuracy in names and dates concerning the Moffitt families of Tobercurry in County Sligo, Ireland.
1 Oct 2014 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- New material on Hilda Moffett (1898-1979) who married Joseph Leonard Plant,
and her family, including Constance Phyllis Moffett, who married Eric Puckle.
25 Aug 2014 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- Graham Moffatt(1919-1965) comic and character film actor who starred with Will Hay;
- Frank Williamson Moffat (1900-1933) and his family from Dundee;
- Bennett Peacock Moffat (1886-1957) and his family from Leven, Fife.
23 Aug 2014 An update to the Clan Moffat Genealogy database:
- A number of small additions and correction;
- Added information gathered by Roger Moffat and Colin Moffat on the Moffitt ancestors of Tennis Great Billie Jean King and her brother Major League Baseball pitcher Randy Moffitt.
18 Jul 2014 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- Information of the family contained in the Diary of Caroline Eliza Sanderson (1841-1933), who married Alexander Charles Baddeley Moffat, and many of whose children built a new life in Argentina.
5 Jun 2014 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- Information of the family of Robert Crookall Moffat and Elizabeth O’Grady. He was captain of a dredger from Fleetwood, and who moved to Dublin.;
- Information on the family of Reginald Grahame Moffat who married in Malta to Winifred Gladys Clucas, who so disliked her forenames that she was known as Ann.
2 Apr 2008 - We are pleased to announce that our genealogical database has been augmented by the addition of some 15,000 new “Moffat” entries, as compiled by the genealogist of the Clan Moffat UK & Eire. These entries are mostly limited to Great Britain, and limited to those bearing the name “Moffat” (or variant), as well as the husbands of Moffat women who marry. Its major advantage is that it contains ALL the Moffats resident in England, Scotland and Wales listed in the 1881 census, so that if your Moffat ancestor was in Great Britain during 1881, s/he will be in the database. Conversely, if s/he is missing, you can assume the person to be deceased, to have emigrated or, in the case of women, to have married and be using a different surname. Our goal is to increase the coverage to all Moffats listed in the UK Censuses 1841 – 1901. Please click here for a more detailed description of the database.
This database will be upgraded on a monthly basis. If you have corrections or additions to this database, please submit them to the genealogist using the SUGGEST facility, so that they can be incorporated in a subsequent upgrade.
|Clan Moffat Genealogy Online
Last Update posted
|Last Import: 24 Apr 2017 - Clan Moffat Genealogy - 77,295 individuals.|
|Last Import: 22 Apr 2017 - Clan Moffat UK - 39,955 individuals.||
Elusive People Full List
A researcher writes "I am hoping to get into the DAR and the only thing I am missing is something connecting the above Peter Craven to his son, John R. Craven (1793-1858). I have proved that Peter is Thomas, Esq's son and that John R. is Eli's father (my great great grandfather). Do you know if Peter made a will? I have Thomas's will and John R's." If anyone can help please contact us through this site.
Hugh Moffat was Mayor of Detroit during the 1870s. If you have any information about him please contact me
Looking for Descendants of Earl Cary.|
A researcher is looking to make contact with any descendants of Earl Cary who might have information about his flying career with the RAF during World War II.