|Search for Names
Search by ID Number
1 July 2015 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- Hamilton Moffatt (1832-1894) Son of Naval Commander John Moffat. He emigrated to Canada, and was the first European to cross and map the mountain range in Victoria Island;
- Mary Stewart Moffat (1938-2009), Dumfries, author of children’s books.
1 June 2015 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- Michael Moffat (b 1876) County Sligo, and his wife Bridget Foley, who lived in Govan, Glasgow, before moving on;
- Thomas Shaw Moffat (1899-1966), married (1) Annie McInnes, and (2) Esther Moffat, the latter the daughter of John Moffat (1879-1958) and Mary Sweeney.
28 April 2015 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- William Moffat (b 1860) maker of packing boxes, Glasgow, and his wife Jane Forrester
as well as their nine children, born 1884 through 1899.
31 Mar 2015 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- Emma Frances Moffat (1813-1877), who married Joseph West;
- More information from County Mayo, including Annie Doyle (1880-1957) who married Bernard Moffitt;
- Maria Moffitt (1881-1972) who married Robert Morris, Leigh, Lancashire.
2 Mar 2015 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- Elizabeth Moffat (1852-1914), who married John Fairbairn (1853-1922) of Bedrule, Roxburghshire;
- A conjecture that William Moffat, b Leith ca 1800, who married Janet Barclay is in fact the son of William Moffat and Elizabeth Nellson, and b Leith 11.2.1802.
17 Jan 2015 An early February update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- The family of Thomas Moffat (1852-1929), plasterer, of Lockerbie, Dumfriesshire, who married Margaret Davidson;
- Richard Charles Muffett (1895-1984) of Shouldham Thorpe, Norfolk, whose daughter Barbara married Patrick Cottington.
2 Jan 2015 - Happy New Year An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- The family of George Henry Moffett (1875-1963), South African, and step-son (adopted son) of William Moffett of Ireland.;
- John Coutts (1837-1911) and his wife Elizabeth Moffat (1842-1925), who married in Peebles, but went gold-mining in New Zealand.
29 Nov 2014 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- Joseph Barker Moffatt (1824-1862), mariner, lost at sea, whose wife, Elizabeth Donnison re-married to Philip McGahan, emigrated to the USA, and used Moffatt as the family name;
- Identification of Agnes Cuthbert (1855-1913), and her two husbands who pre-deceased her, before in 1899 she married James Moffat (1862-1955) (his second marriage), and in the same year gave birth to Robert Scott Moffat.
3 Nov 2014 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- John Moffat (1826-1879) who married Agnes Jackson (1821-1875), from Ayrshire, worked as a boilermaker in Glasgow. His extensive family is detailed;
- James Frederick Moffatt (1865-1925) from Liverpool, but who settled in Goole, Yorkshire, and his family;
- Greater accuracy in names and dates concerning the Moffitt families of Tobercurry in County Sligo, Ireland.
1 Oct 2014 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- New material on Hilda Moffett (1898-1979) who married Joseph Leonard Plant,
and her family, including Constance Phyllis Moffett, who married Eric Puckle.
25 Aug 2014 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- Graham Moffatt(1919-1965) comic and character film actor who starred with Will Hay;
- Frank Williamson Moffat (1900-1933) and his family from Dundee;
- Bennett Peacock Moffat (1886-1957) and his family from Leven, Fife.
23 Aug 2014 An update to the Clan Moffat Genealogy database:
- A number of small additions and correction;
- Added information gathered by Roger Moffat and Colin Moffat on the Moffitt ancestors of Tennis Great Billie Jean King and her brother Major League Baseball pitcher Randy Moffitt.
18 Jul 2014 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- Information of the family contained in the Diary of Caroline Eliza Sanderson (1841-1933), who married Alexander Charles Baddeley Moffat, and many of whose children built a new life in Argentina.
5 Jun 2014 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- Information of the family of Robert Crookall Moffat and Elizabeth O’Grady. He was captain of a dredger from Fleetwood, and who moved to Dublin.;
- Information on the family of Reginald Grahame Moffat who married in Malta to Winifred Gladys Clucas, who so disliked her forenames that she was known as Ann.
4 May 2014 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- Information of the family containing several members named Robert Ireland Moffat;
- Information on the family of Michael Moffitt from Swinford in County Mayo.
5 April 2014 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- Family of Edgar John Moffat (1887-1977) and Jane Quartermaine (1887-1963) who emigrated to New Zealand.
3 February 2014 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- George Henry Moffett, of Cape Province, South Africa, adopted son of William Moffett. William had married George Henry's widowed mother, Elizabeth Mary Schreiber;
- Margaret Moffat (1816-1898), daughter of John Moffat and Agnes Wilson, one of 8 children, and who married Adam Scott. Her father and husband were both shepherds in Berwickshire;
- Vincent Charles Moffat, b 1924, Dorking, Sussex, died 2010, Perth, Western Australia.
30 Dec 2013 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- Clarity with Festus Moffat (1895-1959), Festus Moffat (1896-1970) and Festus David Moffat (1907-1995), named after their grandfather Festus Moffat (1825-1884).;
- Family of Robert Alexander Moffat (1901-1989), Colliery manager in Midlothian, his wife Ella Ramsay (1906-1978), son of David Moffat (1869-1946) and Jane Moffat (1861-1935).;
- John Moffat (1840-1910), his wife Jane Deans (1843-1914) of Berwickshire, Scotland, who dedicated a family bible, and their daughter Mary Jackson Moffat (1877-1943), who bequeathed an unexpected legacy.
3 Dec 2013 An update to the Clan Moffat UK database:
- Margaret Frood Moffat (1870-1951), who married James Anderson;
- John Knox Moffat I (1853-1924) and his children among whom John Knox Moffat II, Alfonso Moffat and Euphemia Moffat (1881-1944) who married Herbert Gifford Stower, and the family's strong links with Argentina;
- Robert Moffat, b 1881 Fleetwood, Lancashire, but moved to Dublin, married Elizabeth O'Grady, and had a family of 11 children.
2 Apr 2008 - We are pleased to announce that our genealogical database has been augmented by the addition of some 15,000 new “Moffat” entries, as compiled by the genealogist of the Clan Moffat UK & Eire. These entries are mostly limited to Great Britain, and limited to those bearing the name “Moffat” (or variant), as well as the husbands of Moffat women who marry. Its major advantage is that it contains ALL the Moffats resident in England, Scotland and Wales listed in the 1881 census, so that if your Moffat ancestor was in Great Britain during 1881, s/he will be in the database. Conversely, if s/he is missing, you can assume the person to be deceased, to have emigrated or, in the case of women, to have married and be using a different surname. Our goal is to increase the coverage to all Moffats listed in the UK Censuses 1841 – 1901. Please click here for a more detailed description of the database.
This database will be upgraded on a monthly basis. If you have corrections or additions to this database, please submit them to the genealogist using the SUGGEST facility, so that they can be incorporated in a subsequent upgrade.
|Clan Moffat Genealogy Online
Last Update posted
|01 Jul 2015 - Clan Moffat UK - 38,334 individuals.|
|07 Jun 2015 - Clan Moffat Genealogy - 77,191 individuals.||
Elusive People Full List
A researcher writes "I am hoping to get into the DAR and the only thing I am missing is something connecting the above Peter Craven to his son, John R. Craven (1793-1858). I have proved that Peter is Thomas, Esq's son and that John R. is Eli's father (my great great grandfather). Do you know if Peter made a will? I have Thomas's will and John R's." If anyone can help please contact us through this site.
Hugh Moffat was Mayor of Detroit during the 1870s. If you have any information about him please contact me
Looking for Descendants of Earl Cary.|
A researcher is looking to make contact with any descendants of Earl Cary who might have information about his flying career with the RAF during World War II.